Erectile Dysfunction (ED) is a common sexual problem faced by men. It is the inability to get an erection or maintain the erection for penetrative sex. Though men often face problems with erections due to stress, anxiety, or other issues, if it happens on a regular basis, it needs to be checked and treated by a reputed Erectile Dysfunction Urologist. The reasons that lead to an ED are:-
- Limited blood flow to the penis
- Psychological and emotional reasons
- Early warning of serious medical conditions like heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, and atherosclerosis (hardening or blocked arteries)
Taking care of your male reproductive organs is very important for a healthy sexual life and overall health as well.
The erectile dysfunction urologist will perform the treatment in the following ways:-
Physical examination: The erectile dysfunction urologist will perform an overall physical examination of the body to check your health. They will check your male organs like testes and scrotum for any signs of injury that might lead to ED. They will also examine your cardiovascular health by checking your heart rate and blood pressure. Other than these, they will check your prostate through a rectal examination. They will also ask you questions about your sexual life like the amount of time you need for arousal, how long you maintain an erection, if you have a problem with an orgasm, etc.
Laboratory tests: They will recommend some simple lab tests like blood tests to measure Testosterone, other male hormones, and blood sugar. You will also be recommended a urine test.
Special tests: The urologist will also recommend some special tests like –
- Ultrasonography to check blood flow in the penis
- Nocturnal penile tumescence to check for sleep erection
- Inject a vascular stimulant into the penis to cause an erection
- A computed tomography scan (CT scan)
ED treatments: The erectile dysfunction urologist initially recommends non-invasive treatments to treat ED. If it does not work then they move to invasive treatments. Some of the treatments are –
- Oral pills called phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitors like Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Stendra
- Penile injections
- Intraurethral (IU) medication (alprostadil)
- Fitting a penile implant in the penis through surgery
- Vacuum erection devices
Erectile Dysfunction should be diagnosed and treated at the right time under the consultation of an experienced erectile dysfunction urologist. The urologist will find the cause of ED and first try to heal that condition and manage it so that ED can be treated consecutively.